Clubhouse is the newest social media app that everyone is talking about, and talking on. The voice only app allows people of any niche, any status, any location to join in on open conversations surrounding a particular topic. Right now, as I type this, there are rooms about “30 Days of Fitness”, “The Power of Instagram in Travel”, “Wonderful Morocco”, “Vanlifers Unite” and dozens and dozens of others. It’s an amazing way to network with a variety of people – and you never know who might join a room.
Why People Love It:
- You can join “rooms” on any topic, at any time of day. No need for getting dressed up for Zoom.
- Anyone can start a room and discussion.
- It’s super raw and authentic. The conversations are happening in real time and it’s not being recorded (as of now) so you have to join in to get the good info.
- You never know who might be in a room. You could have a conversation with a marketing director, a hotel exec, an influencer and more all at the same time and come out with new ideas for your new campaign.
- It’s great for vocal storytellers. It honors wit and intelligence.
- It levels the playing field (at least right now) because follower count isn’t relevant yet. It’s more about what expertise you can bring to the room.
- Clubhouse is currently invite only- you must get an invite from someone already on the app. Once you join, you are given three invites to start and as you join more rooms you’re rewarded with more invites. *Need an invite? Reach out to our Vice President, Jade, as she has tons of invites. (email her email@example.com)
- It’s voice only, and mobile only. You could easily join rooms throughout the day and listen in for little tidbits as you would a podcast or you can join in and engage.
- Huge audiences are joining in record time- 13M total, and people are spending 4+ hours on the app in one day!
Lingo to Know:
- Moderators: These are the hosts of the “room”. They can invite others “on-stage”.
- On- Stage: the main area where you can join in the conversation. You are placed at the top of the app so others can click on your bio, follow you, visit you on Twitter or Instagram.
- Reset the Room: This is when you’ve been talking for some time and the moderators re-introduce the topic, who the moderators or speakers are and ask for people to raise their hands to join.
Once you’ve joined, do this first:
- Create an awesome bio, including searchable emojis. Talk about your main passion or reason you’re on Clubhouse (Tourism Marketer, for example) but also include other passion points outside of your job. This will give people a reason to follow. You can also add a Call to Action – “DM me for exclusive X,Y,Zs”
- Join a few rooms before raising your hand to understand the flow and etiquette.
- Once you’re ready to join in, remember to do the following when you first are invited on-stage:
- Thank the moderators for inviting you up and having the conversation.
- Introduce yourself quickly- “I am Jade, VP of Travel Mindset, an influencer marketing agency that specializes in travel. I wanted to ask… or I wanted to add…”
- Asking a question is always great or answering a question that someone had just asked. Always bring thoughtful questions or valued advice.
- Follow people in your niche who you respect. You’ll be notified of rooms they join and then you can quickly jump in too.
- Join rooms that are niche adjacent to find new voices and people to follow.
- Join during different times of the day to connect with new people. Especially in travel, you could join an early east coast room and connect with people in Europe and join a late night room and connect with people from California.
- Remember that you never know who might be in a room, so click on people’s profiles and go through all the bios. Make connections via Twitter or Instagram so you keep those connections going.
- If you want to start a room, organize with like minded Clubhousers and have at least four moderators. The more people in the room, the more people are notified of the room happening.
- Remember to promote your room on your other social media platforms. Rooms can be scheduled in advance so give yourself time to promote the room and have as many people join in on the conversation as possible.
Ready to get started? Now check out our post on why tourism brands should jump on the platform asap!